Tips for finding accommodation abroad and avoiding scams.
Erasmus + students often have many difficulties finding accommodation in the countries they are going to. Additionally, due to the state of exception in which most countries find themselves (due to COVID-19), many scammers have appeared. They take advantage of people who are desperately looking for accommodation. Moreover, students will be nervous due to the upcoming changes they know they will experience because of the cultural shock. As a result, they may look for accommodation in a rush, without taking minimum security measures, and will end up going to the first place they find. Here are some tips to keep in mind to find cheap accommodation and try to avoid scams:
- Erasmusu: it is a specific website for this. Students have to register in the country where they’re going to go and later on in the precise city. There is a forum for students to find people that are going there too, and maybe roommates. There is also a flats section, and most flats are verified. Overall, it is a very reliable site. https://erasmusu.com/
- Erasmus Play: it is a student apartment comparator. This page helps to search for accommodation in residences, apartments, flats or student rooms. It has filters to adapt the results to the user’s needs, and it compares among a wide offer from the accommodation market. Book online from anywhere in the world in a completely safe way. https://erasmusplay.com/
- Another important recommendation is to contact the host university, as most of them have an agency that helps students find flats.
- Before booking any accommodation, it is convenient to ask students who have been to that same place. For instance, ask about the hygienic conditions, as they are not always what they look like in the pictures.
- Of course, it is essential to know the protocols of the residences, like in case of isolation or lockdown.
- Finally, you can also contact other students on Facebook or even find accommodation pages that may be interesting for you.
If you have more tips, share them!