Students traveling on Erasmus can receive a financial contribution for using environmentally friendly means of transport.
The new Erasmus+ program period for the years 2021-2027 brings a number of novelties and topics, including the GREEN ERASMUS+ project, the essence of which is the systematic reduction of the negative impact that this program has on the environment.
An increase in the financial contribution by EUR 50 is guaranted when choosing an environmentally friendly mode of transport (ground public transport – train, bus, …). At the same time, the eligible travel time is extended by 4 days for mobility participants who choose an environmentally friendly mode of transport.
The goal of the GREEN ERASMUS+ concept is to improve the environmental sustainability of the Erasmus + program and at the same time contribute to increasing the environmentally responsible approach throughout Europe.
Other goals of GREEN ERASMUS+ are:
- Reduce the negative impact of the Erasmus + program on the environment
- Raise awareness across the European higher education sector of the importance of sustainable internationalisation
- To enable student organizations to become agents of change and strive for improvement in environmental sustainability
Specific steps that will lead to achieving the goals include:
- Students and other mobility participants will use more sustainable modes of transport before, during and after their mobility.
- Students and other mobility participants become more perceptive and responsible consumers during their exchange abroad.
- University staff and educators will support “sustainable Erasmus” as a carrier of environmental sustainability
- Sustainability will be one of the key topics for student organizations.